Basically here is what it looks like:
- We will create a new organization in the CRM 4.0 environment.
- We will move the customizations to the new org but not data.
- We will attach the database to the CRM 5.0 environment and thus upgrade it.
This will do a few things for us:
- Will give us a clean environment to test upgraded customizations in before moving them to the real development environment to see what worksand what needs to be remediated.
- Can easily move things like jscript, web resources, plugins, workflows and entities that don't already exist in the current 2011 system as it makes sense as solutions. Some things like workflows would otherwise need to be re-built entirely based on our scenario if we didn't have this upgraded space.